Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Birthday Girl

Its my birthday, I am 20 years old

Up in Scotland it is Burns Night

The day I celebrate my birthday, in current affairs the Palestinians go to the polls

Surge in support for Hamas as voters prepare to reject Fatah at polls

· Today's Palestinian vote will be bitter contest
· Arafat's faction to lose out after years of corruption


I wish my friend handool all the best and wish his party the PFLP well in the poll.

Historical events on this momentous day

# 41 - After a night of negotiation, Claudius is accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate.
# 1327 - Edward III becomes King of England.
# 1494 - Alfonso II becomes King of Naples.
# 1533 - Henry VIII of England secretly marries his second wife Anne Boleyn.
# 1858 - The Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn becomes a popular wedding recessional after it is played on this day at the marriage of Queen Victoria's daughter, Victoria, and Friedrich of Prussia.
# 1915 - Alexander Graham Bell inaugurates U.S. transcontinental telephone service.
# 1924 - The 1924 Winter Olympics open in Chamonix, France (in the French Alps), inaugurating the Winter Olympic Games.
# 1941 - Pope Pius XII elevates the Apostolic Vicariate of the Hawaiian Islands to the dignity of a diocese. It becomes the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
# 1949 - The first Israeli election -- David Ben-Gurion becomes Prime Minister.
# 1961 - In Washington, D.C. John F. Kennedy delivers the first live presidential television news conference.
# 1971 - Charles Manson and three female "family members" are found guilty of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home