Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Review of the BBC/HBO's Production of Rome

Rome

First episode I saw, I thought the show was very camp, more Up Pompeii than I Claudius but my American friends assured me that it would pick up from the third episode onwards, and it did. Once I saw it as a soap in the style of Eastenders, it made for much more enjoyable viewing.

What I Liked

The Rome scenery - gave it an 'authentic' feel and the use of colour was good, what people tend to forget is Roman (and Greek) temples were brightly coloured as were togas, we are used to the pure white marble and sun bleached ruins which give an idea of a colourless world when it is very far from the truth. Nice use of the graffiti as well, Archaeologists have found much of it preserved at Pompeii.

examples:




I thought the actots did a great job, the dialogue was sometimes wince inducing and stilted but nothing is perfect.

Historically much creative licence was used, which I accept because it is TV, its not like they were doing a documentary.

The Late Roman Republic was full of drama and larger than life characters, no wonder it made for enjoyable TV viewing and if this gets people interested in Ancient Roman history then so much the better.

Sexiest Man on the Show

James Purefoy as Marc-Athony

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home