Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Israeli Withdrawal



Israel seals off Gaza, marks begin of disengagement

Compensation if you are displaced, unless you are Palestinian

It is a step in the right direction removing the settlements from the Gaza Strip, but you can't help but wonder if Sharon plans to consolidate his holdings in the West Bank through building more settlements and the wall.

My friend, a native Palestinian who works at a Rafah hospital in the Gaza Strip has often told me as Israel pulls out there what they leave behind is destruction.

For the most part the disengagment is symbolic, a gesture from Sharon. But to my Palestinian friends they do not trust him and worry that he is just strengthening Israeli presence in the West Bank.

The Isreal/Palestine conflict has no end in sight, it remains an open wound on the Middle East.

The Palestinians themselves have been treated shodily by their Arab neighbours, the Israelis and the Western Powers. It saddens me that such a great people could suffer so much.

I believe in a one state option if it will ensure peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home