Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Palestinian Poetry Blogging


The Flute Cried

The flue cried. If only I could go to Damascus as an echo.
Silk weeps on the shores and pass through a sobbing cry.
Landscapes filled with tears. The flute cried and tore the sky into two women.
It divided the road and broke the heart of the sand grouse.
It divided us so we'd fall in love. O flute, we plea for mercy!
We are not distant as the sunset. Are you crying out so cry in vain,
or to crush the mountain as well as Adam and Eve's apple? O shout of
infinitive silence, cry: Damascus, my woman, I will love and I will survive

The flute cried. If only I could go to Damascus as an echo.
I even believe in what I don't believe. Silky tears burn away our breath.
The flute cried. If only I could cry like the flute, then I would know Damascus.

From Fewer Roses (1986) by Mahmoud Darwish

Translated by Munir Akash and Carolyn Forché

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home