Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

The two biggest contributers to the west's Renaissance were the Byzantine and the United Arab-Muslim empires ('Abbasid, Umayyad and Fatimids).

The Ottomans did the west a big favour by sacking Constantinople because all those Greek scholars fled to Italy with lost knowledge which helped to kickstart the Reanssiance.

The Crusadeswere also beneficial in one small way because it brought the west in contact with the Muslims.

The Catholic Kings (King Ferdinand II of Aragon and Queen Isabella I of Castile) reconquest of Spain also brought preserved Graeco-romano and Muslim knowlege via the libraries at Cordoba, Seville and Granada.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Queen Isabella I of Castile

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
King Ferdinand II of Aragon

The West does not properly acknowlege the part played by the east in its modernity. Today the west in the shape of America illegally invaded Iraq, the place where civlization began, you could say the American conquest of Iraq is like the Mongol sacking of the city of Bagdad in 1258.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home