Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Thoughts on Afghanistan and Pakistan

So I am watching a Newsnight segment on the resignation of Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf, and they are talking about 'building democracy' and so forth and all I could think was that in no period of history that I know of have Afghanistan or the volatile tribal areas of Pakistan like Baluchistan or North Waziristan have ever been successfully ruled by any form of central authority, you cannot create a country where there was none originally. Even when the British Raj was at its height it got chased out of Afghanistan, twice. The most they could do was pay off the tribes and their chiefs.

Even the geography of the area goes against it, deep valleys divided by high mountains, often cut off from each other during winter, hardly conducive to creating a country or democracy. The tribal bond goes deeper than any national bond as well.

Which is why the attempts by the UK, Canada and its NATO allies to impose some form of democracy or central control in Afghanistan will fail and the attempts by Pakistan to bring their tribal areas under central control also will end in failure and more bloodshed.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home