Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Trident

Trident Obscenity Vote Today

Third member of government resigns over Trident
A third member of the government resigned this afternoon, as Tony Blair faced a major Labour rebellion over the renewal of the UK's nuclear deterrent.

With Mr Blair expected to have to rely on Conservative support to win tonight's vote on renewing Trident, Stephen Pound quit this afternoon, saying that he could not vote for the policy.

Mr Pound was until today parliamentary private secretary to Hazel Blears, the party chair and candidate for the deputy leadership.
£65bn is being spent on replacing our nuclear weapons, which will never be used.

Think of what good £65bn could do in say the NHS or finding alternatives to fossil fuels, there are plenty more worthy causes this money could be put towards rather than a redundant system.

Also it seems a little bit hypocritical that we're telling Iran off for possibly developing their own nuclear capability while the British government wants to replace its own nuclear arsenal.

I think the real reason the British government wants to replace our nuclear arsenal is because of France, heh.

I am currently watching the Commons debate on Trident and its depressing me, its so sad when certain sections of Labour and the Conservatives are in agreement over a wasteful policy.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home