Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Palestinian Poetry Blogging

When The Martyrs Go To Sleep

When the martyrs go to sleep, I wake to protect them from professional
mourners.
I say: Have a good morning at home, a home of clouds and trees, a mirage of water
I congratulate them on their safety from injury, and the generosity of
the slaughterhouse.
I take time so they can take me from time. Are we all martyrs?
I whisper: Friends, at least save us one wall for our laundry lines, and
one night for songs.

I hang your names wherever you may wish, so go to sleep. Sleep on the trellis of
that sour vine.
I protect your dreams from your guards' knives, from the revolt
of the scriptures themselves against the prophets.
When you go to sleep tonight, be a song for those who have no songs.
I say: Have a good morning, a home carried on the back of a wild horse.
Then I whisper: Friends never be like us, a gallows in disguise.

From Fewer Roses (1986) by Mahmoud Darwish

Translated by Munir Akash and Carolyn Forché

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home