Devizes Melting Pot

“Protection. Conservation. Restriction. Deep ecology. Give me deep technology any day. They don't scare me. "I'm damned if I'll crawl, my children's children crawl on the earth in some kind a fuckin' harmony with the environment. Yeah, till the next ice age or the next asteroid impact." (Moh Kohn, The Star Fraction)/ "This is the fight between God and the Devil. If His Grace is with God, he must join me, if he is for the Devil he must fight me. There is no third way" King Gustavus Adolphus

My Photo
Name:
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire, United Kingdom

University graduate, currently working as an Information Assistant for the NHS. Interested in politics, history, sci fi etc.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

March for Global Climate Justice


Grosvenor Square

Yesterday I went on my first protest march, it was a very fine day, weather was simply gorgeous if a little bit cold. There was a cross section of society, which was good to see, climate change is one of the hot issues of the moment.

We marched from Grosvenor Square (where a rally was held outside the US embassy featuring guest speakers such as George Monbiot, Caroline Lucas MEP and Tory green advisor Zac Goldsmith) to Trafalgar Square (a crowd of 20,000) where music was being performed by Razorlight and KT Tunstall.

Whether it will make a major different I don't know, its nice to see that people care but is that really enough?

I myself am in two minds about environmental campaigns, I do understand that we need to stop being wasteful and that we should think more but then again I think not all technology is evil, I personally believe we need to get into space, that will solve many of our problems like relieving population pressure. Space could provide us a change to escape from the Planet of the Apes.

Some photos from the march



Grosvenor Square


Grosvenor Square


Grosvenor Square


The contingent from Swansea


The US Embassy

the rest of the photos can be seen here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home